School Start Time Change
At the April 16, 2021 School Board Special Session, the School Board approved the School Start Time Change proposal to be implemented in the fall of 2021-22. The recommendation that has been discussed in recent months aligns with the District’s Strategic Plan and research on adolescent sleep.
The White Bear Lake Area School District recently approved a proposal related to school start and dismissal times to be implemented in the fall of 2021-22.
Key factors of the proposal include:
- The recommendation aligns with the District’s Strategic Plan.
- The proposed change aligns with research on adolescent sleep.
- The proposed change is consistent with a commitment the District made to the City of White Bear Lake and current WBLAHS - North Campus neighborhood residents to prioritize the mitigation of traffic impact.
- The proposed change would allow the District to run a more efficient, three-tiered transportation system.
Presentations & Communications
- What will the new school start/dismissal times be?
- Why did the district consider this change?
- How will this change affect elementary students?
- How will this affect elementary activities?
- How will this affect middle school and high school students?
- How will this affect middle school activities?
- How will this affect high school activities?
- How will this affect family schedules?
- How early will students be waiting at a bus stop?
- Why is the Matoska schedule different?
- What is the budgetary impact of this change?
- Did the district explore other options so all schools could start after 8 a.m.?
- What before and after school childcare options will be available for elementary students?
- What other Minnesota school districts have changed school start times in previous years?
- What professional organizations have endorsed later school start times for middle and high school students?
- Why now rather than when the high school is unified?
- What will be the timeline for this change?
- What are some examples of research that has been referenced?
- How can I learn more or ask questions?