520 - Public Notice
Independent School District No. 624 gives notice to parents of students currently in attendance in the school district, eligible students currently in attendance in the school district and students currently in attendance in the school district, of their rights regarding inspection of instructional materials and limits on survey, analysis, or evaluation:
1. Parents, eligible students and students are hereby informed that they have the following rights:
a. All instructional materials, including teacher’s manuals, films, tapes, or other supplementary material which will be used in connection with any survey, analysis, or evaluation as part of any program funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Department of Education, shall be available for inspection by parents or guardians of students.
b. No student shall be required, as part of any program funded in whole or in part by the U.S. Department of Education, without the prior consent of the student (if the student is an adult or emancipated minor), or in the case of an unemancipated minor, without the prior written consent of the parent, to submit to a survey that reveals information concerning:
(1) political affiliations;
(2) mental and psychological problems potentially embarrassing to the student or the student’s family;
(3) sex behavior and attitudes;
(4) illegal, antisocial, self-incriminating and demeaning behavior;
(5) critical appraisals of other individuals with whom respondents have close family relationships;
(6) legally recognized privileged or analogous relationships, such as those of lawyers, physicians, and ministers; or
(7) income (other than that required by law to determine eligibility for participation in a program or for receiving financial assistance under such program).
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 624 WHITE BEAR LAKE, MINNESOTA
Dated: _____________________________________________ Chair: ________________________________________________