School Board Policy 202 -
School Board Officers
Adopted: November 13, 1995
Revised: November 8, 2007
Revised: November 8, 2010
Revised: October 8, 2012
Revised: July 10, 2017
REVISED: July 13, 2020
School Board officers are charged with the duty of carrying out the responsibilities entrusted to them for the care, management, and control of the public schools of the school district. The purpose of this policy is to delineate those responsibilities.
II. General Statement of Policy
A. The School Board shall meet annually and organize by selecting a Chair, a Clerk, a Treasurer, and such other officers as determined by the School Board. At its option, the School Board may appoint a Vice-Chair to serve in the temporary absence of the Chair.
B. The School Board shall appoint a Superintendent who shall be an ex officio, nonvoting member of the School Board.
The School Board shall meet annually on the first Monday in January, or as soon thereafter as practicable, and organize by selecting a Chair, Vice-Chair, Clerk, Treasurer, and such other officers as determined by the School Board. These officers shall hold office for one-year and until their successors are elected and qualify.
A. The persons who perform the duties of Clerk and Treasurer need not be members of the School Board.
B. The School Board by resolution may combine the duties of the offices of Clerk and Treasurer in a single person in the office of business affairs.
IV. Officer's Responsibility
1. The Chair when present shall preside at all meetings of the School Board, countersign all orders upon the Treasurer for claims allowed by the School Board, represent the school district in all actions and perform all duties a Chair usually performs.
2. In case of absence, inability, or refusal of the Clerk to draw orders for the payment of money authorized by a vote of the majority of the School Board to be paid, the Chair may draw the orders, or the office of the Clerk may be declared vacant by the Chair and Treasurer and filled by appointment.
1. The Treasurer shall deposit the funds of the school district in the official depository.
2. The Treasurer shall make all reports which may be called for by the School Board and perform all duties a Treasurer usually performs.
3. In the event there are insufficient funds on hand to pay valid orders presented to the Treasurer, the Treasurer shall receive, endorse, and process the orders in accordance with Minn. Stat. § 124.06.
1. The Clerk shall keep a record of all meetings in the books provided.
2. On or before September 15 of each year, the Clerk shall:
a. file with the School Board a report of the revenues, expenditures and balances in each fund for the preceding fiscal year.
b. make and transmit to the Commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Education certified reports, showing:
(1) revenues and expenditures in detail, and such other financial information required by law, rule, or as may be called for by the commissioner;
(2) length of school term and enrollment and attendance by grades; and
(3) other items of information as called for by the commissioner.
3. The Clerk or designee shall ensure that all records required are maintained as required by statute including the proceedings of any meeting, and an itemized account of all expenses of the school district.
4. The Clerk or designee shall furnish to the county auditor, on or before September 30 of each year, an attested copy of the Clerk’s record, showing the amount of proposed property tax voted by the school district or the School Board for school purposes.
5. The Clerk or designee shall draw and sign all orders upon the Treasurer for the payment of money for bills allowed by the School Board for salaries of officers and for teachers’ wages and all claims, to be countersigned by the Chair.
6. The Clerk shall perform such duties as required by the Minnesota Election Law or other applicable laws relating to the conduct of elections.
7. The Clerk shall perform the duties of the Chair in the event of the Chair’s and Vice-Chair’s temporary absences.
The Vice-Chair shall perform the duties of the Chair in the event of the Chair’s temporary absence.
1. The Superintendent shall be an ex officio, nonvoting member of the School Board.
2. The Superintendent shall perform the following:
a. visit and supervise the schools in the school district, report and make recommendations about their condition when advisable or on request by the School Board;
b. recommend to the School Board employment and dismissal of teachers;
c. annually evaluate each school principal assigned responsibility for supervising a school building within the district;
d. superintend school grading practices and examinations for promotions;
e. make reports required by the commissioner; and
f. perform other duties prescribed by the School Board.
Minn. Stat. § 123B.12 (Finance)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.14 (Officers)
Minn. Stat. § 123B.143 (Superintendent)
Minn. Stat. § 126C.17 (Referendum Revenue)
Minn. Stat. Ch. 205A (School District Elections)
WBLASB Policy 101 (Legal Status of the School District)
WBLASB Policy 201 (Legal Status of the School Board)
WBLASB Policy 203 (Operation of the School Board-Governing Rules)
MSBA/MASA Service Manual, Chapter 1, School District Governance, Powers and Duties