January 6, 2019
- In photos: Winter Break fun!
- Welcome to 2019
- Food for thought
- The Week in 62.4 Seconds
- Activities updates
School Board News
- School Board Meetings
- General Information
- Awards and Honors
In photos: Winter Break fun!
Welcome to 2019
Happy New Year! Students were able to enjoy all sorts of fun during Winter Break and families were kind enough to share photos with us that captured all their excitement that make up the "In Photos" section of this e-newsletter! During the break, fifth, sixth and seventh grade students from the White Bear Basketball Association got to experience the real deal of playing a game on the Timberwolves court, with live play-by-play announcements from the Timberwolves' announcer. The fun continued for the seventh grade students who are a part of the White Bear Basketball Association, as they got together to make hygiene kits for the St. Andrew's Community Resource Center! While students enjoyed Winter Break, staff members were excited to welcome students back to school after their time off and greeted them into the 2019 portion of the school year! The fun can be seen in this video.
It is an exciting time of the year, especially with Welcome to White Bear Month among us! While families are always welcome to visit our schools at any time, there are several opportunities happening yet in January for parents to learn more about our schools. View a full list of activities on the district's website. The activities started the first week of January! Families who have students entering grades 6-8 in the fall of 2019 were able to enjoy Middle School Parent Info Night where the could learn about a variety of exciting opportunities for students during their middle school years. The experience was captured in this video. Families can also get a sneak preview of the offerings through these videos highlighting the exciting opportunities in White Bear Lake Area Schools' elementary and middle school programs.
Food for thought
Get ready to enjoy delicious food prepared and served by Willow Lane Elementary fifth grade students at Donatelli's starting on Tuesday, February 5. The students will be taking over and working hard at the restaurant to serve community members a great meal every Tuesday in February (Feb. 5, Feb. 12, Feb. 19 and Feb. 26) and Tuesday, March 5 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. View this flyer for more details. All tips above and beyond the 15% will go to HopeKids, a charity that supports children with cancer. In other food-related news, Transition Education Center students recently rolled up their sleeves and helped pack and deliver meals for other White Bear Lake Area Schools students. Once a week, the students create kid packs with food from the White Bear Area Emergency Food Shelf to provide meals for families in need during the weekend! Check out the students hard at work in this video.
The Week in 62.4 Seconds
Enjoy The Week in 62.4 Seconds videos highlighting weekly district activities throughout the school year.
Jeremy Beckler was recently announced as the MN Boys' Basketball Hub Top Performer winner! Jeremy was deemed the winner after people voted on MN Boys' Basketball Hub for Jeremy's performance of scoring and rebounding, giving the Bears a boost in winning recent games! Go Bears!
Find a complete list of all WBLAHS Activities, Athletics and Fine Arts here.
Please contact the Communications Department (651-407-7695) to submit Student News for inclusion in future publications.
School Board Meetings
School Board meeting agendas, packets, minutes highlights and videos/audio files can be found here.
|January 14||Regular||7 p.m.||District Center|
|January 28||Work-Study||5:30 p.m.||District Center|
|February 11||Regular||7 p.m.||District Center|
For highlights from the most recent Board meeting, click here.
The WBLAS Community Services and Recreation Department provides a wide range of services and opportunities that enhance the quality of life for all members of ISD 624.
- Seasonal catalogs are available now! You can find them here.
- Digital Backpack information is emailed to parents every other Thursday and available here.
- The Senior Program has two guides available for seniors. Read the 2019 White Bear Area Guide to Senior Housing and the 2019 White Bear Area Guide to Senior Transportation.
- Check out the latest edition of the Senior Voice.
- The latest edition of the Community Bridge Consortium newsletter is available.
- 2019-20 Calendar - A complete 2019-20 calendar, linked here, was reviewed and approved at the December 10, 2018 School Board meeting.
- WBLTA Teacher of the Year nomination - The educators of White Bear Lake Area Schools teach by extraordinary example - they allow students to not only follow their dreams, but give them the skills necessary to become the role models of the future. Please consider nominating an educator who will represent all of the dedicated teachers in our district and compete in the Minnesota Teacher of the Year Program. You may use this form to nominate a teacher. Nominations are due by 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 9.
- Welcome to White Bear events - Throughout the month of January, White Bear Lake Area Schools will be hosting a variety of information nights and open houses to help you learn more about our District and registration for the 2019-20 school year. Find the complete schedule of activities here.
- Monthly Staff & Community Mental Well-Being Series - District staff and families are invited to attend monthly presentations focused on mental well-being. The fourth session of the series is on Tuesday, January 15 from 7-8:30 p.m. at the WBLAHS - North Campus Theater, which will be a presentation called Using Mindfulness to Increase Well-Being and Effectiveness in the Classroom and at Home by Heather Hessel. Check out the details for this upcoming event.
- January 15 Coffee with Dr. K - Community members are invited to stop by and chat with White Bear Lake Area Schools Superintendent Dr. Wayne Kazmierczak over a cup of coffee between 7:30 and 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, January 15 at the Downtown White Bear Lake Caribou Coffee & Einstein Bros. Bagels (4733 Highway 61, White Bear Lake, MN). There is no set agenda, so please feel free to order a coffee from the barista and find Dr. K in the meeting room to join the conversation!
- Upcoming Coffee with Dr. K events:
- 7:30-8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 15 at Caribou Coffee, Downtown WBL
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 21 at Caribou Coffee, Downtown WBL
- 7:30-8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, April 16 at Caribou Coffee, Downtown WBL
- Special Education Parent/Staff Advisory Council (PAC) Meetings - The purpose of the Special Education Parent/Staff Advisory Council is to act as an advisory body to the district through the Student Support Services Administrative Team on behalf of students receiving special education services. The PAC is scheduled to meet four times during the 2018-19 school year and the third meeting is on Thursday, January 24 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in Room 206 at District Center (4855 Bloom Avenue, White Bear Lake). View future meetings on the district's website.
- Wellness Committee Meeting - For those interested in attending, the next White Bear Lake Area Schools Wellness Committee meeting will take place on Tuesday, February 5 from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. at the District Center (4855 Bloom Avenue, White Bear Lake), in Room 201. For more information, please view the Wellness Program page on the district's website.
- The Top Secret Project - Adults are invited to attend The Top Secret Project event, which is a unique program designed to help parents recognize unfamiliar hazards in a teen's domain that are often in plain sight. The free event will take place on Monday, January 14 from 6 to 8 p.m. at WBLAHS - North Campus. Learn more.
- Adult coed volleyball - Get your friends together to play adult coed volleyball on Wednesday nights at Oneka Elementary! Teams play 6 versus 6 with 3 men and 3 women. This is a self-officiated recreational league. The league is scheduled to start in late January. For more information, visit this website.
- Bundle Up Bears - Families are invited to the free community Bundle Up Bears event on Saturday, January 26 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at WBLAHS - North Campus. There will be music, hayrides, photo opportunities, ice skating and more! Visit this Facebook page for more details.
- Parent and Child Gym Time - Families can enjoy activities set up in the gym at Normandy Park Education Center for free on Wednesday, January 16 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Family Movie Night - Join White Bear's Indian Education community for a free Family Movie Night! All are invited to to attend and come watch Disney's "Brother Bear" on Tuesday, January 15 at 6 p.m. in the WBLAHS - South Campus auditorium. View this flyer for details.
- WBLAS Career Pathways Newsletter - Enjoy the latest edition of the WBLAS Career Pathways Newsletter.
- We Are Hiring! - The district is hiring for a variety of positions. Find the online application page here.
- Stay connected! - Join White Bear Lake Area Schools' social media circles - Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Calling all baby models - We're looking for "Born to be a Bear" photos! Email photos to us here and you may find your little one featured in District publications!
Senior Program Updates:
The White Bear Area Senior Center is a program of the White Bear Lake Area Schools Community Services & Recreation Department.
- FREE Activity Pass for Senior Community Members (age 65+) - White Bear Lake Area Schools offer a variety of activities - home athletic contests, concerts, and theater productions to name a few. Join us! Call the Superintendent's Office at 651-407-7563 to request a FREE Activity Pass for home athletics events and a District Activities Calendar. Find the application here. The Activities Pass is available to residents of the White Bear Lake Area School District who are age 65 and older.
- Be a Bear! The district currently has many staff openings available! See additional information here, and find the online application page here.
- BearPower is a community-wide movement helping White Bear Lake area families eat well and be active. For more on this community partner and its upcoming events, click here.
- Winter Farmers Market - Community members are invited to get BearPowered and enjoy the White Bear Lake Winter Farmers Market happening on Saturday, January 12 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. indoors at Tamarack Nature Center. View this flyer for details and check out the Facebook page.
- Family fun time gets BearPowered - BearPower is teaming up with the WBLAS Community Services & Recreation Department to offer a few free Open Gym nights including:
- Friday, January 25 at Birch Lake Elementary from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, February 8 at Lakeaires Elementary from 6-8 p.m.
- Thursday, March 21 at Matoska International from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Donatelli's Takeover - Willow Lane Elementary fifth graders are taking over Donatelli's from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Tuesday in February (Feb. 5, Feb. 12, Feb. 19 and Feb. 26) and Tuesday, March 5. Stop in for a terrific meal and great service! All tips above and beyond the 15% will go to HopeKids, a charity that supports children with cancer. View this flyer for more details.
- H2O for Hope - Otter Lake Elementary fifth grade students are raising money to provide clean water in Haiti by hosting the H2O for Hope event, which is a coffee and donut drive-thru on Friday, January 11 from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. at Otter Lake Elementary. Check out this flyer for more details.
- Be a Bear! The district currently has many staff openings available! Find the online application page here.
- January Recognitions:
- January - Welcome to White Bear